Friday, January 23, 2009

Village of the Clones

A few weeks ago, I was sitting on the bus across the aisle from two expressionless blonde haired/blue eyed twins in matching outfits around the age of 8 years old. It embarasses me to admit that a) I quite honestly started to panic a bit, b) the thought popped into my head that if I was their mother I would dye at least one child's hair a different color so they'd be less creepy, and c) I panicked again, thinking that they might be able to read my thoughts, and were now especially angry with me.

Why yes, I have seen the Village of The Damned a surprising number of times. And yes, I realize that this kind of makes me a jerk because obviously they were children, and (probably) not mind reading aliens, or junior members of the Aryan Nation.

So, suffice it to say, I am having some trouble getting to sleep tonight after having read this. Apparently, there is a village in Brazil where 4 out of 5 births are twins (compare to 1 in 80, normally)- mostly blond haired and blue eyed, and that in the 1960's, Joseph Mengele was hiding out there and playing doctor, and continuing his freakish Nazi medical experiments designed to artificially up the birthrate of the Aryan race. It's going to give me nightmares for at least a week, I promise you.

No comments: